Dr Ed Marel
Hip resurfacing, hip and knee replacement, arthroscopy
MBBS (Sydney), FRACS (Orth), FRCSEd (Orth), FA(Orth)A
Dr Marel has been a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon for 22 years, with rooms in Dee Why for all that time.
As Dr Marel’s major interest has always been hip and knee replacement surgery, he now practices exclusively in the hip and knee area, performing hip replacement and hip resurfacing, and knee replacement and knee arthroscopy. His research interests have centred on hip instability and dislocation, and acetabular cup orientation.
Dr Marel was a founding member of the Arthroplasty Society of Australia (hip and knee replacement surgeons) and was president of the society in 1999 and 2000. He was an Orthopaedic Examiner for the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Fellowship in Orthopaedics from 2004 - 2012 and is the current Chairman of the Australian Orthopaedic Association National Joint Replacement Registry.
With Dr Len Walter and Dr David Dickison he helps train newly qualified Orthopaedic Surgeons by sharing experience in joint replacement surgery through a fellowship with the Peninsula Orthopaedic Research Institute, a non-profit beneficial foundation.
Dr Marel now works in Sydney and in Bathurst, operating at North Shore Private Hospital, Delmar Private Hospital and Bathurst Private Hospital.
Married with one adult son he is a keen glider pilot who flies long distance cross country
flights in the summer months.
- North Shore Private Hospital
- Delmar Private Hospital
- Bathurst Private Hospital
- Australian Medical Association
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Australian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Arthroplasty Society Australia
- Australian and New Zealand Orthopaedic Research Society
- Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association
- Peninsula Orthopaedic Research Institute
- For appointments and enquiries with Dr Ed Marel please phone 02 9971 8018